Motino USB and Wireless Programming

Started by dzubey, April 13, 2014, 02:32:25 AM

dzubey

Hi, so after pounding my head against the wall for a few hours, I've figured out that the "stock" WirelessProgrammingGateway sketch only runs once on the Motino USB.

Symptoms are, one can run the python program once, but additional attempts to run the python script error out.

It looks like the Motino goes into an infinite loop somewhere, as the onboard led flashes at a high rate, and the unit does not respond to serial anymore.

Commenting out the call to CheckForSerialHEX allows multiple attempts and you see normal serial handshaking.

I did not test this with a full wireless programing cycle, I ran the python program with a fake remote node ID, and let the sketch fail at the remote node detection.

Note that the sketch/python script work beautifully on a regular motino V4.

Let me know what additional debugging information you can use.

Thanks,

-Dan N7NMD

Felix

Dan,
Your sketch for the remote node needs to contain the CheckForWirelessHEX otherwise it will never listen for more wireless programming messages. That is inlcuded in the sample sketch I provide but wanted to mention it just in case.
There is no functional difference between regular Moteinos and MoteinoUSB. MoteinoUSB is like a regular Moteno + FTDIAdapter all in one piece.

dzubey

Yea. I have a pair of sketches that work with ordinary Motinos, but I've had trouble with the Motiino USB I have.

I think it's just a loose USB connector, and I've had trouble using some of my random USB cables with it, but I haven't had time to really figure it out. It's just intermittent.

My art installation is being installed this  weekend, so after coming back I can take a deeper look at it.