Moteino with 12V and 6A ?

Started by gzon, October 10, 2014, 07:45:44 AM

gzon

Im new to microcontrollers, currents and such. My first project seems to be with a "heatwire". Its used to keep water from freezing during winter :
http://www.conrad.se/V%e4rmekabel-Arnold-Rak-HK-5,0-12-12-V-75-W-5-m.htm?websale8=conrad-swe&pi=625820&ci=SHOP_AREA_22717_0813090
(swedish webpage)

The cable is 12V and 75W which would mean that I need a powersupply that can give 12V 6.3A approximatly. And - I want to use a Moteino to control the temperature with a tempprobe, relay:s to switch on/off the heatcable and graph the watertemp etc (stuff you need... right?). But - only with one powersupply...

Read the spec for the v.4 Monteino and the MAX levels :
Input Voltage (max limits)   3.3V – 13V, up to 16V on MCP1703 regulated Moteinos (recent R4s)

Seems like I can run this on 12V - but - will it survive 6-7A :S

How could I do this ? Need some help/directions on howto!

//G

Felix

hey gzon,
It will work at 12V no problem, the regulator will slighltly warm up because of the big difference down to 3.3V, but no problem.
Your supply 6A is how much current capacity it can give. The moteino will use a very very small amount compared to that so you should be good.