Moteino-USB Unknown Device [SOLVED:bad USB cable!]

Started by ssmall, May 29, 2014, 02:28:09 PM

ssmall

I purchased a Moteino-USB and hooked it up to my windows 7 laptop after installing the FTDrivers located here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm.  I receive an error saying the moteino is an Unknown Device.  I tried installing the drivers on a Windows 8.1 machine with same results.  I tried a few different USB cables as well.  Is there something I am missing?

-Steve

Felix

I suspect it's some kind of driver issue, this most often the problem. You said you tried it on 2 computers, so assuming the board is good (all get tested and loaded with sample sketches to make sure they can receive the firmware and can transmit/receive) the only remaining issue is the driver. There are
Some people report having issues with some USB ports being underpowered although more rare.

Did you solder anything to the board before plugging in? Can you double check the driver version 32/64 bit matches your OS?

ssmall

I did solder the antenna to the moteino.  My windows 8.1 machine is a desktop and I haven't had any USB power issues with it or my laptop for that matter.  It powers the regular moteinos just fine.  Both machines are 64 bit OSes.  I ran the 2.10.00 WHQL Certified setup executable, so I am assuming the installer detected the OS properly.  The LED flashes when I plug the moteino in.  I also ran the driver installer in the Arduino install directory after the FTDI drivers didn't work.

Felix

I assume you don't have another MoteinoUSB to cross check...
Do you happen to have another FTDI type device? Perhaps one with a FT232RL chip?
The MoteinoUSBs use a FT231xs chip for the serial-usb translation.

ssmall

I only have the one MoteinoUSB.  I do have an FTDI Adapter like the one you have in your store that I use to program my Moteinos.  That works just fine.  I also have a USB to RS232 Serial Port adapter but that uses the PL2303 chip.  I checked my solder job on the antenna with a magnifying glass and I don't see any places that I have bridged a connection.  Anything else I can check?

Felix

Not sure what else to suggest. The next thing is to return it and I will see if there's an issue and if I can repair or replace it. If that sounds reasonable you can return it to the return address on the envelope or email me for instructions at felix @ lowpowerlab.com

ssmall

I am going to try a few more computers before I contact you to return it.  I am assuming it should show up just like the FTDI programmer.  Thanks for the help.

Felix

Yes it should pop the new device window that will go through several steps and install the driver, then finally show it as a new COM port.

ssmall

I was able to get the MoteinoUSB to be recognized.  It seems that the device is very particular about what USB cable it will work with.  The other two cables I tried work just fine with other devices.  Anyhow, no need to send it back.