Author Topic: Moteino RFM library VS RadioHead  (Read 377 times)

ydylwj23

Moteino RFM library VS RadioHead
« on: April 16, 2019, 08:18:32 PM »
Hi Everyone,

About 2 years ago I used Moteino in one of my project to create a network of 1 gateway and around 10 Nodes and it was a great success. Now I came back to the RF world again trying to build another project but I'm having problems picking libraries and products.

First is the library: According to https://lowpowerlab.com/guide/moteino/lora-support/ , the nice RFM library made by Felix cannot be used in any LoRa modules so I have to look into using RadioHead http://www.airspayce.com/mikem/arduino/RadioHead/index.html since I planned to use LoRa RFM95. After a few examples, I realized that RadioHead library doesn't offer any subnetworking functionalities like Felix's library does. This is really weird to me. Shouldn't subnetworking be a very essential function since crosstalk can be a big problem for these long-range RF modules? For an amateurish coder, it seems that the more popular RadioHead library is far less convenient in this sense. Let along with that subnetworking security is very standard in Felix's library too. Am I missing anything here?

The second question: For some reason, I can't find any direct comparison between Moteino and Adafruit feather. To me, these are pretty much heads-up competitor products. What's your guys' opinion on choosing between these two boards?

Thank you guys! :)

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
Re: Moteino RFM library VS RadioHead
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 09:14:19 AM »
RE RadioHead - can't speak for it but I can say I consider writing another library for LoRa that is easy to use. Would that be an appealing prospect?

The second question: For some reason, I can't find any direct comparison between Moteino and Adafruit feather. To me, these are pretty much heads-up competitor products. What's your guys' opinion on choosing between these two boards?
I did not design the M0 to be a clone or a look-alike to the Feather.
There are many differences, from physical and header layout, to pin arrangement, to low power, to OTA support, price. I would go as far as say that apart from the MCU and the radio module, they are 2 different products.

ydylwj23

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 11:40:07 AM »
Thx for the fast reply Felix!

Another library for LoRa would be appreciated! In my new project, I need 3-5 LoRa sensor networks working in the same building so subnetworking capability is a must. Still don't know why RadioHead doesn't support it.

As for the feather M0 and Moteino M0, I totally understand that it's not a clone or copy from either side. But as the end user, these 2 products are very comparable. Same MCU & Radio, similar function(Moteino has wireless programming support), pinout(feather M0 has fewer pins, they decide not to expose the 2nd hardware serial) and size. Feather has a little more expansion capability with Adafruit's Featherwing "shield" ecosystem. BTW, Moteino m0 Lora without FLASH is $34.95 while Feather m0 Lora is $34.95 as well... So, very comparable for end users in my opinion.

ydylwj23

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 03:37:17 PM »
I was doing more research on the matter today and found out that your network ID feature comes from part of "syncword" value according to RFM69 datasheet. But for some reason, HOPERF made no mention of this feature in their datasheet for RFM95(Register 0x39) https://cdn.sparkfun.com/assets/learn_tutorials/8/0/4/RFM95_96_97_98W.pdf. In contrast, it appears in SX1276 datasheet (Register 0x39) https://www.mouser.com/ds/2/761/sx1276-1278113.pdf.

Maybe this is why Library like RadioHead is not using it?

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 03:47:01 PM »
You can do "networking" in different ways.
Also to note that the Hope RF datasheets are just rebranded versions of the Semtech datasheets for the transceiver chips. They only make a few changes and replace the images with those of the actual modules.

ydylwj23

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 08:00:17 PM »
Hi Felix,

Can you briefly elaborate what you mean by different ways of doing "networking"? For me, if using RadioHead(no native networking), I plan to add network identifiers in the message or in the address number. Like giving networking #1 nodes addresses 100-199 then networking #2 nodes address 200-299 and so on. Then in the actual code, always filter out messages coming from different networks by checking the hundred digit.
My worry for this method is message collisions since all nodes will be talking to each other in the building of 3 networks. Even though they can still filter messages they want but too much collision might leads to packet loss. Native networking by snycwrods on the other hand, will not have this problem since packets from different networks are just ignored(If I understand this correctly).

Thank you so much!

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 08:23:47 AM »
It depends on what you want to achieve and how you want to separate the "networks".
A few examples of how you can separate the "networks":

- using identifiers in the packet payload, everything else the same
- use the network ID in the header, then this is done automatically, allows you to have nodes that can listen to other networks
- use different frequencies to separate networks, this increases bandwidth and allows more networks in parallel but also increases complexity since you have to deal with receiving on all frequencies

For the first 2 above, you have to share a frequency, this is simpler and more convenient if you can live with the "limited" bandwidth of just 1 frequency, but increases collision probability as average number of packets increase.

So this problem comes with pros/cons just like anything else. You have to weigh your requirements carefully and decide what is the best approach.

Humancell

• The future is awesome!
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 01:31:05 PM »
Hello,

This is actually a timely thread as I have also been prototyping code lately using the Moteinos with LoRa radios on them.  They are working great ... and then I also hit a few issues, and one of your comments had me think of a few questions:

1. Above, you mentioned: "I consider writing another library for LoRa that is easy to use."  Does this mean you have considered doing this?  Or are you suggesting it might be nice to see someone put some effort into a simpler RFM69-like library for LoRa?

2. I *am* curious if there are known implications in trying to fork/modify the RFM96 library to support the LoRa radios?  Is this a daunting task with all sorts of major issues?  I haven't looked yet, but it seems that the hardware radio interface is the same, so it must be the differences in radio registers and parameters?  Do you have a "short-list" of issues that you know of that would have to be addressed?

3. My *major* issue is now OTA.  I've been using the RadioHead library, and just realized that in doing so I have "lost" the OTA capabilities of  the RFM96 library?  UGH!  Now what?

I am actually wanting to consider investing some time and effort to get OTA working over LoRa radios ... and am trying to understand the best way to do this ...

Scott

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 03:14:27 PM »
Answers in order:
1. Yes, considered doing this myself. Contributions are welcome, but either way I think I will need to get heavily involved in anything that I will support.
A strong incentive for me to consider this is the very lack of OTA over LoRa.
2. RFM96 is the 433mhz-LoRa module. Did you mean fork RFM69?
The implications are unknown to me but I expect a lot of work will be required. Yes, registers are different. The 1 thing that helps is that both are made by semtech, and they use similar datasheet terminology and have some similar structures and mechanisms. But there are significant differences too, ex there is no AES in the LoRa chips.
3. Now what? ... void(). It seems nobody cares about OTA although it's a term so thrown around that I wonder who's actually doing it, in an "open" and "correct" way.

Humancell

• The future is awesome!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 05:49:56 PM »
Hello,

Thank you for the reply ...

1. How can I assist and contribute to this effort?  I'm sitting here looking at how I can get OTA working right now.  We're you thinking of forking the RFM69 library and going from there?  Or creating a new combined library?

2. Yes ... I meant RFM69 library.  Typo on my part.  And yes, I already ran into the encryption issue.  RadioHead offers a encryption extension and some examples using a flexible encryption library, but we also ran into issues with maximum packet size using encryption. (I can't find the reference right now)

3. I know that *I* care about OTA and require it.  I'm constantly improving my code, and evolving things, and need an easy way to deploy code to the sensors in the field. :-)

BTW ... I know that I'm seeing really nice distances with the LoRa Moteinos I've been testing with.  What are good ranges that you've seen with the RFM69 library and radios?

Let me know if there are ways that I could assist in looking at the LoRa library with OTA ... I'm currently pressed to find a solution or direction that we can go on this.

Humancell

• The future is awesome!
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 12:27:36 PM »
Hello,

Just as a side note ... the path that I have currently been exploring is to implement your OTA protocol over to work on top of the RadioHead library.  I'm just starting into this work, and understand it's non-trivial, hence my interest in an alternative path that might provide us some common library and APIs for the LoRa and non-LoRa radios.

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 12:29:43 PM »
I would look at the new gen LoRa radios SX126x (ex sx1262) before writing a library for the older SX1276 chip.
Maybe you can start there are look at differences to evaluate which direction you want to do.

ChemE

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 08:58:12 AM »
Are there any cheap transceivers out yet based on the Sx126* chip?  I keep watching HopeRF's site and continue to see nothing new every time I check.