List of Compatible Flash Chips?

Started by ichilton, February 24, 2014, 08:16:15 AM

ichilton

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had a list of flash chips which are known to be compatible with the SPIFlash library and fit the footprint on the Moteino?

The "official" chip used on the Moteino's seems to be the Windbond W25X40CL as per the shop:
http://lowpowerlab.com/shop/FlashMemory-W25X40CL

I can't find a discussion of alternatives anywhere though?

Can anyone confirm if the Atmel AT25DF041A should/does work/fit? - it's the same pinout, works at 3.3v, is SOIC8 and 4Mbit:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/flash-memory-chips/6962686/

Any others?

Thanks,

Ian

Felix

Ian, there was another thread about this but in general these chips all have the same command set. What can be different is how the memory is organized. Either way please compare the command set to make sure that is the same. I think your mentioned chip is going to work.

ichilton

Thanks Felix - so you've not heard of anyone actually using any other chips other than the Windbond you use?

Felix

I've used several Atmel, Adesto, and Windbond ones. I settles on the one I offer in the shop because it fit the needs perfectly. Some other chips are unexplainably slow, you might want to consider that, but it's hard to tell until you test it on your own. So I went through a handful of chips and did all sorts of tests before picking this one.

Felix

BTW at some point I was on the fence between an atmel and the current windbond but then the atmel one was being discontinued so I was left with the obvious choice. I think Atmel sold their flash chip division to Adesto now.

ichilton

Interesting - do you still have any notes from when you were doing that? - which you tried, which worked, which were slow or whatever?

Thanks,

Ian

Felix

Yeah the atmels were always pretty slow.
I have various notes in different sketches where the FLASH is used as to what JEDEC Ids they are. Other than that I don't. I still some around in my junk parts and soldered on various Moteinos ...

ichilton

Ahh, ok!

In terms of wireless programming, is the bottleneck not the transmission over the air rather than the speed of the flash?

Any experience with the Microchip SST25VF040B? -
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/flash-memory-chips/7238741/

Thanks,

Ian


Felix

Not familiar with the microchip.
The wireless programming bottleneck is the RF transmission.

ichilton

Ah, cool - so you'll only see slowness when using the flash for other storage and doing a lot of it, I assume.

I might give the Atmel one a go and maybe get one of two of the Microchip one to test - will report back if I do.

Thanks,

Ian

ichilton

Ah, it seems the Atmel AT25DF041A has been discontinued and was removed from my order!

Ian

luisr320



luisr320

I guess they are the same. I'll give it a try and let you know.
Thank you