Killed voltage regulator on R4. Need help.

Started by jimh, June 16, 2014, 03:43:06 AM

jimh

I made the mistake of trying to set up a new project late at night and reversed the wires.  I saw the smoke and knew it was gone.  Fortunately all is not lost since plugging into the 3.3v pin still works.

However, trying to program it with the USB FTDI doesn't work.  It doesn't seem like it powers up. 

I'd love to get this fixed/replaced, but I don't have the know-how or parts.  Where would I be able to buy the exact part for the voltage regulator?  (A direct link would be most helpful since I haven't had much luck finding the exact one.)

Of course, if anybody has the part and is willing to help me out by replacing it for me, for a small fee, I'd look into that as well.

Felix


ssmall

I smoked one of my Moteinos, how can I tell if it is the voltage regulator?

Felix

Desolder the regulator if you can then supply 3.3V on the "3.3V" pin (or 2xAA batteries should also work).
If the mega328 is still alive it will work and you should be able to upload a sketch.

ssmall

"Desolder the regulator if you can", you must be familiar with my desoldering skills.  ;)

Felix

Well in that case just try 3.3V on the 3v3 pin and see what happens, can't do much more damage now anyway.

jimh

Thanks Felix for your offer.  I sent PM.

With the USB FTDI set to 3.3v, can I route the 3.3v to the Moteino 3.3v line for it to power on and be programmable?

Felix

I actually never tried that myself I don't think. So I can't be sure if the 3.3v provided by FTDI is enough to power the radio but purely for programming it should suffice. In RX mode the radio is just 16mA. Do you have a 2xAA holder? You could just power the "3.3" from two AAs... if not then you can try the FTDI...