Author Topic: Cheap ultra low power Panasonic PIRs alternative  (Read 2442 times)

overlord

• NewMember
Cheap ultra low power Panasonic PIRs alternative
« on: April 12, 2017, 09:11:28 AM »
Hello,
the most current series EKMB of Panasonic PIRs costs for a 1uA long distance detection type with the EKMB1103111 around 21€ and 20€ for the EKMB1101111 standard detection type in Europe.
https://na.industrial.panasonic.com/products/sensors/sensors-automotive-industrial-applications/pir-motion-sensor-papirs/series/ekmb-wl-series/2480?reset=1
Quite a lot of money.
But Panasonic produced a previous Series which is now obsolete like the EKMA1101111 which I got at Ebay for ~1.50€ per piece. I measured the power consumption which is around 1-2 uA. Detection range is fine within 5 meters with poly lens even the angle is really wide. So if somebody needs a low power motion sensor this older series might be a cheap alternative.
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/315/PaPIRS_datasheet_JULY10-1076154.pdf
The EKMA series has the same digital output, Motion Mote Code worked without change.

Best Regards,
René

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
Re: Cheap ultra low power Panasonic PIRs alternative
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 01:37:58 PM »
Thanks a lot for the info, quite interesting. They seem to be even smaller height than the current revision.
I searched ebay but could not find any ... do you have a sample link?

The only problem is ebay is not really a reliable source. You may get bad parts that could fail later.
So for a prototype this is perfect, if it fails you just get another, but for me to resell these in a kit it's a big risk. Once soldered or packaged they are a pain to service.

Kylix

• Omologazioni veicoli
Re: Cheap ultra low power Panasonic PIRs alternative
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 05:38:19 PM »
I confirm they work great and I have no false positives yet. I only had to use a 33K resistor instead of 10K between the GND and OUT of the PIR sensor.