AVRISP mkII - Home made Moteino not detected [SOLVED]

Started by Lukapple, March 27, 2014, 04:51:12 PM

Lukapple

Hi.
I'm trying to connect my own home-made Moteino to AVRISP mkII programmer to flash the bootloader and fuses (see picture below).
When I connect power using ftdi adapter(5v) it start to blink orange.
Power is detected in Atmel studio. Then I click on "read" or "fuses" button and I get "Unable to enter programming mode" message. Programmer led starts to blink red.
Any idea what am I doing wrong ? Is it problem with my connection, or with Moteino (bad soldering or something) ?
Thanks.


Felix

Why you would need to do this eludes me, but my first guess is it's probably wrong wiring.

Lukapple

I forgot to say that I built this Moteino from scratch by myself, so I have to load bootloader to Atmega 328p.

Felix

Did you solder the radio already? If so use a 10k pullup on d10.
And double check your ISP wiring.

Lukapple

I didn't solder radio yet.
I'll recheck my wiring, but I think that wiring is fine (look picture in previous post).
Maybe I burned some components - It's my first moteino, soldered by hand :)

Felix

Ok assuming the wiring is fine the only other variable that I cannot check is the PCB which you soldered by hand.

Lukapple

I'll solder another one. It will probably be easier with hot air gun (I don't have smd toaster oven yet).  So it's ok if I burn bootloader before I solder radio?
Thanks

Felix

Sure, but it's much harder unless you have a TQFP breakout adapter, something like this: http://www.adafruit.com/products/1240

Lukapple

I mean if it's ok to do it like on picture from my first post - without RF Radio module.
If I understood, you have to use resistor only if radio is already soldered.

Lukapple

Hi Felix.
I still can't get it to work.
Here is my wiring diagram:

Radio is not soldered. Should I solder it first ?

I saw that you're using pin D10 on your programming jig. Where should I connect that one ?

Thanks

kobuki

A possible mistake is that while the MKII expects the programmed part to be self-powered, you don't need to hook the Vcc to the programmer, only GND. In fact you must not hook up unstabilized Vin voltage (which is potentially even higher than +5V) to the MKII.

Lukapple

What should I put to VCC leg#2 of MKII, nothing ?  I've connected it to power from Lowpowerlab FTDI adapter and atmel studio detects 5V.

kobuki

#12
Quote from: Lukapple on March 31, 2014, 01:02:37 PM
What should I put to VCC leg#2 of MKII, nothing ?  I've connected it to power from Lowpowerlab FTDI adapter and atmel studio detects 5V.

EDIT: well, sorry, I'm uncertain. I've only programmed Arduinos with the standard ISP connector using my MKII. For the Vcc to be detected by the programmer you might need to connect the Moteino 3.3 Vcc (not the Vin from the USB connector) to its Vcc. Try that, it won't be worse. Someone with greater experience might have a solution/more ideas. You might have a dodgy soldering somewhere also.

Lukapple

Switched to moteino 3.3V pin and it works !!! Device is now detected. Thanks a lot :)

Lukapple

Felix, or anyone, could you please post what exactly do I have to set to burn Optiboot bootloader. Just Fuses: ext:FD, hi:DC, lo:DE. ?