Arduino IDE 1.5.6 new serial

Started by KanyonKris, March 05, 2014, 02:21:08 AM

KanyonKris

I have been using version 1.5.5-r2 of the Arduino IDE with my Moteinos with no problems.

A few days ago I noticed version 1.5.6-r2 is available. Does this new version work with OK with Moteino?

One thing caught my eye in the release notes, a switch from TXRX for serial communication to JSCC (Java Simple Serial Connector). Although TXRX works it seems it's no longer maintained whereas JSCC is a newer, freshly written Java serial library. Newer isn't always better, has anyone had problems with serial communications with 1.5.6?

Felix

I have not tried it yet. I never typically jump at RC releases. With open source I never really jump at brand new versions either, except after a while, after the waves settle. I've had a few bad experiences (not with Arduino) where a release is announced with a lot of fanfare, only to be quickly replaced by a minor new hotfix version days later when half the people report disaster.
I think the arduino R2s will probably work just fine. Anyway I hope whatever is new will be better, even though Java scares me to death.

KanyonKris

Quote from: Felix on March 05, 2014, 08:04:15 AM
Anyway I hope whatever is new will be better, even though Java scares me to death.

Get ready to die because the entire Arduino IDE is written in Java:

QuoteThe open-source Arduino environment makes it easy to write code and upload it to the i/o board. It runs on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. The environment is written in Java and based on Processing, avr-gcc, and other open source software.

RXTX is also Java so JSCC is just another Java serial library.

Felix

Yep I was aware. In fact I think that's the reason it sucks so bad in some aspects.

KanyonKris

Hehe. It works well enough, but it has done some strange things now and then.