Author Topic: OTA M0 Architecture Port  (Read 11600 times)

ryan-muirhead

• NewMember
OTA M0 Architecture Port
« on: October 29, 2017, 12:43:26 AM »
Hi All,

Just posted this in another thread and then saw the freelancing section so I thought I'd put it here as well. I would be willing to pay for someone with the skills to port wireless programming over to the ATSAMD21G18 chip. (Arduino Zero, Feather M0 boards etc.) If anyone is interested please get in touch.

Ryan.

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
Re: OTA M0 Architecture Port
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 04:41:23 PM »
What's the net advantage of going to M0?
Why not a cortex m3 or something obviously superior?

ryan-muirhead

• NewMember
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 09:06:26 PM »
Good point. It's what I'm familiar with so for the first reason I would say ignorance?

As I said I don't know a lot about the cortex m3, so there might be some holes in the logic of the following.

Second I would say compatibility. Most of the big US vendors have a SAMD21G Arduino variant. They have already put in the legwork to check compatibility with most of the libraries out there and there's an extremely large support base for connecting to various sensors and hardware.

There's already a m0 bootloader on github that sends a binary file to a SD card over wifi and then flashes the chip, hoping that will save a lot of time getting running on this architecture.

Always happy to hear counters?

perky

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 06:39:57 AM »
Re-ARM boards are becoming popular now in the 3D printing world, based on 32-bit LPC1768 Cortex M3. Modules like mbed also use them.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1245051645/re-arm-for-ramps-simple-32-bit-upgrade
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9564

Mark.

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 09:16:45 AM »
At $54, I wonder how popular the mbed can be. I always had the feeling mbed is not very relevant compared to other platforms, maybe pricing has a factor in that too.
How about STM32? Huge variety of possibilities, and the popular ones can be had for very cheap.

perky

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 09:56:17 AM »
Mbed is pricey, I agree the Nucleo STM32 based modules are dirt cheap in comparison.

Mark.