GPS tracker with RF link

Started by ejo60, July 15, 2014, 03:42:10 AM

ejo60

The idea is to take the adafruit GPS board and to read it out with the moteino, it then works as a tracker. Draws 50 mA from a 800 mAh of battery, so it could run for 16 hours, furthermore I use the flash on the moteino, 4 Mbit of memory or 500 kB is enough to store some 6000 records which I log every 10 seconds from the GPS receiver.

Since I don't like cables the GPS data is retrieved by remove control from a gateway which is part of a home automation system, the gateway transceiver records events from two motion detectors, a water level meter in the basement, it carries a real time clock and a pressure chip. Also light levels and temperatures are recorded at the gateway and in the basement.

Some photos are here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vvkn8txo1t0icob/AABeSscZTcGcHH5Lh5cI6zmVa/GPS%20tracker

It took me a while to get the flash memory to work the way I wanted it, so I build a class called logger that allows you to store strings in flash as if it were a system log file. By remote control from the gateway I retrieve the log from the GPS RFM device, so that it effectively functions as a wireless GPS tracker. Could be useful as a car or truck registration system, or maybe you had other applications in mind.

Felix

Very cool, my congrats!
You should enter in the hackaday prize contest!

jackbrouno

Never saw this concept before, nice idea

ejo60

Some people have asked me for more details on this project, which was now field tested for about a half year. I'm completely happy with what it does, more details are now on my blog, it includes code for the moteino board and the matlab script to generate a kml file for Google Earth. The gateway is not very complicated, you have to instruct it to send text strings that the GPS tracker understands.

http://ejo60.wordpress.com/2014/11/22/diy-wireless-gps-tracker/

If you haven't got matlab then maybe consider octavia under linux, or maybe someone should re-code it to C++?