After installation what I have to do? [solved]

Started by andromeda, May 09, 2015, 05:46:51 PM

Felix

Lots of NOTHINGs coupled with quite weak RSSI indicate that you have something wrong in your radio settings, so double check the hardware matches the settings in the sketches, especially the isHW setting and the frequency. Have you soldered 1/4 antennas?
Minicom is just a serial monitor program, just like the Arduino IDE serial monitor. You start it up from the command line on your pi, with flags indicating the port and baud rate etc. Type minicom -help for details.

LaneF

PROGRESS --

As you advised a few post back, I loaded :

Quote
First load them with the example Gateway and Node sketches (adjust settings as appropriate).

I'm getting "Sending... ACK -27 " straight down the feed.  The nodes speak to each other, the yellow LED blinks on each as they transmit and receive.  I had not noticed the "#define IS_RFM69HW" line in the sketch(s) to remove the //.

I left the gateway sketch as is, it's seems to be working great. I loaded the Weathersheild sketch from "RFM69/Examples/WeatherNode/" on Github.

I tested both, the gateway says it's got a MAC Address and is Transmitting on 433Mhz (worked great during the node test),  the Weathersheild says it's loaded and ready to go ...
QuoteWAWeatherMote - transmitting at: 433 Mhz...BMP180 init success...BAT:4.86v F:7245 H:47 P:25.68 (packet length:29)

I went to my Secure Server - IP address for the Moteino Gateway, the gateway was there, but no nodes (see pic attached).  I looked on the Monitor page on the Server Gateway and it says connected.  I unplugged and plugged them back in, nothing, at most the "connected" time would change.

Why can't I see the Node's in the Secure Server??  It connects, I can see the monitor where it says "connected", it seems to be talking.  We're soooo close....

Thanks
Lane

Felix

Lane,
Can you please open the serial monitor minicom like this:

minicom -b 115200 -D /dev/ttyAMA0

To quit it hit ENTER, CTRL-A + Q

You should see the packets dumped by the gateway Moteino, received from any remote nodes. Once that is confirmed we can continue.

LaneF

Felix,

I'm attaching three images of the feedback I received from Minicom (it would all fit on one screen shot).

The results when I hit "Enter", then the bottom of Minicom with the connection info.

The other image is of the only bit of obscure info that came through Minicom.

I hope these snapshots of info help you .


Thanks Again
Lane

Felix

I see one garbled message, so it looks like the Pi serial receives the data from the gateway Moteino.
The garbled payload means either it's some noise that happened to pass the CRC check and got "decrypted" into decrypted noise, it gets ignored by the gateway. Or the encryption key doesn't match but I think you already verified this.
The next step is to get your remote node to send data that you can see in Minicom. Once that is verified we can move into the gateway.js script.
If Minicom doesn't show your remote packets, then it's a step back to figuring out why the remote Moteino can't talk to your gateway Moteino --- all settings again. If that works in the Arduino IDE it should definitely work in minicom.

LaneF

Truly Baby Steps

Using the Gateway and Node exchange sketches proved that the Moteino's were talking.  I went to your Github dir RFM69 and re-copied the Weather sketch.  I modified it, uploaded it and it didn't work again.  I finally copied the settings section from the Gateway sketch and pasted it into the Weather sketch, same info I hand entered, but this time it worked.  I have data flowing on the Minicom Terminal screen using the command you gave me.

I'm not getting the data from the sensors that I see passing through my Pi serial port Mincom monitoring terminal, updating in the Web Gateway.  I know the data is being transmitted, the Pi is "ACK Sent", but neither the data or the node are showing on the Gateway web page.  The Gateway web page is there, I log in, the Low Power site comes up with no nodes.  I remembered in one of your post (or videos) you said "...the server will update the node when the node transmits", so I waited, 10+ data packets sent, no nodes.  I verified the ip address with $ hostname -I .

Almost there. 

Thanks
Lane

Felix

Lane,
What is the exact sketch you are using on the Gateway Moteino connected to your Pi?

LaneF

I have this sketch loaded: (leftover from testing the 433Mhz link)
https://github.com/LowPowerLab/RFM69/tree/master/Examples/Gateway

Should I be using this one?
https://github.com/LowPowerLab/RFM69/tree/master/Examples/PiGateway

Also, can you drop me a link to which Weather Sketch I should be using?  One has altitude adjustments, one makes //comments of the altitude, but no #define Altitude in the setup section.

Thanks
Lane

LaneF

In the meantime...

I reloaded the PiGateway:
https://github.com/LowPowerLab/RFM69/tree/master/Examples/PiGateway

I'm Tx/Rx data through the Pi's AMA0 port as witnessed by Minicom:

[2] START   [RSSI:-34][ACK-sent]
[] BAT:4.86v F:7352 H43 P:25.80   [RSSI:-33][ACK-sent]
[2] BAT:4.86v F:7352 H:42 P:25.80   [RSSI:-35][ACK-sent]
[2] BAT:4.86v F:7374 H:41 P:25.80   [RSSI:-38][ACK-sent]
[2] BAT:4.86v F:7331 H:42 P:25.80   [RSSI:-39][ACK-sent]

I can still log into the Moteino Gateway but after more than eight data updates, no nodes are recognized by the Gateway.

Thanks
Lane

Drrehak

Quote from: Felix on September 18, 2015, 08:55:44 AM
Lane,
Can you please open the serial monitor minicom like this:

minicom -b 115200 -D /dev/ttyAMA0

Hi Felix,
I am learning to setup the Pi Gateway too.  I too am not finding my node in the successfully connected web interface. I followed the steps above.  Using the newest image.  Gateway and Node sketch.  The result of the above command is the attached screenshot.  So it appears the pi is not receiving anything from the moteino?  any idea on what to test next?



Kilo95

Dreehak, did you make sure to edit settings.js and set your serial port to whatever it's on? AMA0 is default. I had to change mine to USB0 and mine worked

Drrehak

#41
yes, that worked!  now I see output from
minicom -b 115200 -D /dev/ttyUSB0


like LaneF, progress!!!   unfortunately, I still don't see the Node showing up in the web GUI. 

when trying to start gateway.js manually
node gateway.js &


I get attached screenshot.  Form my research online, this could mean port conflict? 

LaneF

Drrehak,

I learned the painful way when it comes to receiving data using Minicom across the AMA0 port, patience is the key.  For the Weathershield it takes 15 "Wake Up" cycles or 2min for each batch of info to be sent.  When I first hit the enter key on the Minicom command Felix gave us, I was expecting instant gratification and a flow of data equal to the NSA, nope, takes two mins for the first set 29 char of data to flow.

Now we just have to figure out why the Secure Gateway isn't see the nodes....

Good luck

LaneF

LaneF

#43
Strange Update:

I logged off and back on, I restarted "node Gateway.js" in the ~moteino dir .  I had my Terminal open (it's always logged on to Minicom watching the port) but didn't log in or log onto the Gateway or Minicom.  I got called away from my desk (Kids !!).

When I came back, I logged into the Gateway first THE NODE WAS THERE !  I'm using power through my Mac's USB>FTDI>Weathershield.  BAM, every two min (ish) the new data would roll in and the Gateway would update. Perfect

HERES THE CATCH !!  When i logged into Minicom through the Mac's Terminal (ssh [email protected]) watching the data roll across the Pi's AMA0 port the updates STOPPED in my Gateway !!!  I watched the time since last update clock hit 2,4,6,10,15 mins before it hit me.... I Ctrl-A (Z>Q) out of Minicom and the data in the Gateway flowed again.

To sort of test this.  I "Sudo halt" shutdown, rebooted, did not open Terminal or Minicom across AMA0, I went straight to "cd motieno" now in ~/moteino I entered "node gateway.js" ... as fast as I hit the enter key the Gateway sprang to life and the data flowed in.

I started Minicom to monitor the port... the data stopped.

I'm so new, I'm not sure this is real, or makes sense to you "Hero Moto's" but given my frustrations with this ... I hope this tip can help someone else.

Have a great Sunday

LaneF

Kilo95

I'll try rebooting and then restarting gateway.js and see if the web gui comes up