Author Topic: Where to start at?  (Read 1073 times)

Merlysys

• NewMember
Where to start at?
« on: June 30, 2020, 04:42:53 PM »

I want to experiment with communications between two points about 2.5 miles apart. Trees in the path, internet at both ends but data cap at one end.
I am an electronics Technologist starting in this new field. So I understand the fundamentals - just need to know of a few documents/URLs to find the info. I read a bit about LORA but looking for systems other than LORA for now as they are cheaper.

I can mount transceivers at about 30' up.
Looking to see what data rate can be reached, also if and how voice can be sent.

Is there a system (ie:ham radio) where experimenters work with others in their local area? If so I am in Canada, areas L7G 4S4 and L7G 4A5

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
Re: Where to start at?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 12:00:46 PM »
LoRa and FSK are suitable for small data packets, not for high data rates and voice.
With the proper optimizations I think its possible to reach a few miles with the RFM69, although LoRa would make that more easy to achieve.
The information is very spread on the internet, I don't think there will be a URL that explains everything to suit your specific needs. Things get a little more complicated when you need very long range.

Kilo95

Re: Where to start at?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 02:26:40 PM »
I bet you could get 2.5 miles if you used the high power moteino in 433mhz. Use a 433 mhz yagi antenna at both ends. the tricky part would be getting them pointed directly at each other.