Help with TP5110 breakout wiring

Started by algebravoyager, August 19, 2026, 12:54:29 PM

algebravoyager

Hi everyone, I'm hoping this forum is still somewhat active and I get a response at some point. I would really appreciate some help.

Background
I'm creating a night light for my kids. They have existing fairy lights which just turn on and off. I wanted to use the TP5110 board I bought from LPL to run it as such: one button press turns it on for 15mins, then turns it off after. (Which is why I ended up buying the LPL breakout - because we could change the timer type).

Problem
It's not working. If i connect the battery pack directly to the lights, they power on perfectly. If I wire them (per diagram below), I can see the power goes to the board (by measuring the voltage at VIN and GND with a multimeter), I can know that the button registers (by measuring continuity via multimeter between DELAY and VIN). However, despite button presses, LOAD and GND don't seem to send anything.

Steps to recreate
  • 1. Cut the connection between the solder pads on the back to disable continuous mode. This was the middle and right pads.
  • 2. Solder the left and middle pad together to bridge them, enabling one shot mode
  • 3. Tested that it worked by measuring continuity from the two pin holes at the top (middle and right, the ones that say "one shot"), and the multimeter beeps.
  • 4. Wire it up as per the diagram below

The ask
Please help me identify where it's gone wrong! Caveat: I slept through all my physics/electronics classes when I was younger so my understanding is electronics understanding is minimal at best. It also explains the diagram.

Thanks in advance!

sparky


Felix

I think you have it setup correctly for One Shot. For reference, the OneShot works like this, as also explained on the product page:

OneShot - powers the load/MCU one time until either:
- a DONE signal is received from the load to shutdown sooner than the delay
- delay expires (without DELAY signal)
- an ON! signal from or button press from the user restores power and cycle repeats
- useful for setting a system power-off delay (ex. a 1A load needs to be shutdown after precisely 1 hour)
- Cut the jumper on the bottom and either solder jumper the OneShot side or use the provided header and jumper for easy switching during development

You'd want to press ON! to enable power and start a cycle, I believe this is self explanatory. It sounds like you also checked the tactile button does work.

What is the expected load that the lights draw from the battery?

I'd like to see close up photos of the board top and bottom, before making too many assumptions. The marks on the chips should be legible.