Author Topic: EE-SY310 reduce output voltage  (Read 2430 times)

mgvanosd

• NewMember
EE-SY310 reduce output voltage
« on: August 10, 2014, 12:13:13 AM »
I am using the EE-SY310 premade board. If my input voltage is 5 volts the output voltage, when triggered, is also 5 volts. What is the best way to reduce the output voltage from 5volts to something like 2 volts....3 volts max? I have read a bit about voltage dividers and voltage regulators. Which is better and do you have any recommended circuits or components to do this?

Thank you.

emjay

Re: EE-SY310 reduce output voltage
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 09:13:33 AM »
You mean the sensor is already mounted on a PCB? Do you have access to all the pins?
If so, the 'O' pin is the output of a driver transistor from the detector and can switch a lower supply value in the range you suggest.

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 09:50:31 AM »
Either that or just use a voltage divider (10K + 4.7K).

mgvanosd

• NewMember
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 06:12:36 PM »
A clarification and another question. Also thank you so far for the replies: When you said you can switch a lower power supply value in the range you suggest you meant that I could feed a lower input voltage thus a lower output voltage (O pin)?

My next question is this. I was asked if instead of supplying a voltage on the output/O pin could I instead connect to ground on the output pin.

Here is what I am trying to do in case there is a better solution and to help all understand: I want to count the pulses on a water meter. The EE-Sy310 works very well for detecting the pulse via a strip of reflective tape. I then need to send the output/connect the O lead of the sensor to a Telemetry device. The input on the Telemetry device that I am feeding to has a pull up resistor/circuit so it is looking for ground at which point it will pull the voltage up to 3.3v or 5 v. So the Telemetry device is not looking for a voltage but instead a ground. At least thats my understanding.

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 06:56:01 PM »
The EE-SY310 works like this, see image here: https://lowpowerlab.com/shop/EE-SY310_breakout
It outputs HIGH when the IR is reflected (WHITE) and LOW when nothing is reflected (BLACK).
You can do whatever you want with that output signal. You can drive a transistor and invert the signal if that's what you need.
There are 3 pins on the device, PWR GND and OUT. PWR can be anywhere from 3.3V to 5V or even more (see DS). The sensor is just a IR photo transistor with a schmitt trigger. The OUT is an output obviously, you don't supply anything on that pin, instead you get a voltage from it that you can interpret however makes sense for your project.

brasskey4u

• NewMember
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 06:17:30 PM »
Hi Felix and all..

I purchased your sensor, and appear to have the same water meter with the spinning triangle.  My issue is that the distance to break the beam seems very small.  When I place the sensor over the meter and move it around the spinning triangle I get nothing.  Its as if the beam isn't strong enough.  When I simply place the sensor on a flat surface and manually break the beam using my finger or a ruler or similar object, It only works if I am about 1/2" above.  Any more and nothing registers.  Should it be more sensitive?  I'm powering the sensor and Motenio from a 9V battery.   Appreciate any help.  I'd love to have this working. 

Thank you.

brasskey4u

• NewMember
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 12:00:50 PM »
Guess this not going to work.  Have to find another way to play with water measurement.

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 01:59:04 PM »
Sorry I missed this, you will just have to find that sweet spot. I dont think the vertical distance is that critical, but where the beam is placed in relation to the "tip" of the triangle, that is critical.
The triangle has to be able to break the beam as it alternates between black (the triangle) and white (the background of the dial).

brasskey4u

• NewMember
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 08:18:29 PM »
Hi Felix,

I will try playing with it again, thanks for the reply.