Author Topic: CR not auto ranging when using cheap test leads [dont use cheap leads!]  (Read 881 times)

noch

• NewMember
I have some thicker banana plug test leads I connected my DMM to the CR with.  Auto ranging does not seem to work properly when I use these.  When my DUT is in the mA range the CR stays in nA.  If I unplug the leads, auto ranging works fine.  My normal leads work fine with it.  I tried another DMM with the same results.  I am not that concerned with using these particular leads, I just wonder what may be causing this. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 10:23:13 AM by Felix »

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
Re: CR not auto ranging when using certain test leads
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 09:00:06 AM »
I had fluke leads that failed and I blamed everything else not believing that could happen.
I also had "good" leads that had several ohms resistance.
And this not with the CR in particular, just in general. Bad leads can cause a lot of headache, you'd think leads are just wires and can't fail, but with years of use and wear they can internally tear and  go from useful to causing more damage than good.

In any case, if you use faulty or not very low impedance leads, the CR benefit of low burden voltage becomes offset more or less severely, even at 1 ohm introduced with bad quality leads that is very significant.
Not saying any of this is what you're experiencing, just what happened to me and some ideas to look into.

noch

• NewMember
Re: CR not auto ranging when using certain test leads
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 09:43:32 AM »
Ok gotcha.  Yeah, these are super cheap leads off Amazon.  I just tested a couple and got 1-5ohms readings and the readings would jump a lot.  Testing a jumper wire and then the leads with the small spring clips I purchased from your store and got 0 ohms.  Reviews on the cheap ones I bought now show others see the same issue with quality.

Thanks! this helps me understand the part of the guide on noise more.  I will hunt down some better leads for sure.