Poll

What IDE (version) or Development platform do you use for your Moteino projects?

PC-DOS Basic (this is for Felix)
0 (0%)
Arduino 1.0x
1 (5.9%)
Arduino 1.5x
0 (0%)
Arduino 1.6x
1 (5.9%)
Arduino 1.7x
0 (0%)
Arduino 1.8x
4 (23.5%)
Always the latest Arduino IDE
5 (29.4%)
Platformio
2 (11.8%)
VisualMicro
1 (5.9%)
Other (please post comment so I can update the poll choices)
2 (11.8%)
Arduino Create
1 (5.9%)
Programino
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: March 26, 2018, 05:11:32 PM

Author Topic: POLL: What IDE/Development platform do you use for Moteino projects?  (Read 4776 times)

TomWS

I'm interested in learning what development platforms members are using.  I've listed a few, but if yours isn't listed, post a comment or PM me and I'll add it to the poll (I think).  I'll let this run for about 2 weeks so everyone has a chance to vote.

ChemE

Re: POLL: What IDE/Development platform do you use for Moteino projects?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 07:32:24 PM »
Not sure if it counts as a platform but I end up doing a good deal of my development in Notepad++.

TomWS

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 08:36:27 PM »
Not sure if it counts as a platform but I end up doing a good deal of my development in Notepad++.
Last I checked, Notepad++ doesn't compile or build code, so, no, I wouldn't include that.  So, after you edit the files with Notepad++, how do you build?  Don't answer, just pick one of the above or add something (PM or comment) if it's not in the list.

DonpK

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 08:50:01 AM »
The "other" platform I have been using is called Programino. It has a number of additional features that I like which add to the standard Arduino IDE.

Unfortunately, since I have been working with Moteino projects, I have had to return to the Arduino IDE. The problem involves running two more instances of Programino each configured for a different Moteino board. When I attempt to compile the separate sketches in two different Programino instances, a list of compile errors is generated.

I contacted the Programino developer and was told that there is nothing he can do about it, that the problem "comes from Arduino". I'm not sure what that means, but it appears that Programino interacts somehow with the Arduino code to get information on the boards being used and perhaps also to compile the sketches.  I had to install the Moteino board core files in the Arduino IDE. If using a Moteino board with Programino, in its hardware list I had to select "Use Arduino configuration" since the Moteino boards didn't appear in the Programino board list. This is too bad, since, as I said, Programino has some features which enhance the pretty basic Arduino IDE.

TomWS

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 09:10:02 AM »
The "other" platform I have been using is called Programino. It has a number of additional features that I like which add to the standard Arduino IDE.
I'll add it to the list.

Unfortunately, since I have been working with Moteino projects, I have had to return to the Arduino IDE. The problem involves running two more instances of Programino each configured for a different Moteino board. When I attempt to compile the separate sketches in two different Programino instances, a list of compile errors is generated.

I contacted the Programino developer and was told that there is nothing he can do about it, that the problem "comes from Arduino".
IMO, this is a very closed minded and, frankly, odd response since the 'current' board selection is saved in "preferences.txt" in the Arduino configuration folder.

Have you tried going to the Arduino IDE, selecting a Moteino board (and sketch probably), exiting the IDE and then firing up Programino?  Maybe it uses the board settings in preferences but can't modify them.

Tom
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 09:14:32 AM by TomWS »

DonpK

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 08:27:54 PM »
IMO, this is a very closed minded
I hope you didn't mean me! :D

I  looked at the preferences.txt file. There are actually a couple of Arduino-related preferences.txt files. I the one I think you are referring currently starts with these two lines:
     board=MoteinoMEGA
     boardsmanager.additional.urls=https://lowpowerlab.github.io/MoteinoCore/package_LowPowerLab_index.json

When an Arduino IDE instance is closed, the top line shows the last board being used in the sketch.
Maybe it uses the board settings in preferences but can't modify them.

I think you are on to the problem. When I wanted to install the Moteino board core package, the Programino developer told me to use the Arduino IDE to install the package. The Moteino boards show up in the Arduino IDE board list, but not in the more limited Programino board list. To access a Moteino board, I need to select the option "Arduino IDE configuration" in the Programino board list. If I try to run two Programino instances and try to use two different Arduino IDE configurations, compiler errors are generated. Somehow, the Arduino IDE is able to run multiple sketches with different boards where Programino can't.

DonpK

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 04:26:31 PM »
I want to update my comments on Programino.  In the last year, the developer produced a major rework of the IDE solving the problem I had encounter and added a number of new features.

The problem I mentioned involving the simultaneous use of two sketches on separate USB ports has been solved. This is something frequently done with the Moteino platform - one sketch/port for a transmitter and one for the receiver(s). With the basic Arduino IDE this can be done by running two separate instances of the IDE. With Programino both sketches/boards can be run with in the single IDE. (See screenshots).

Programino has a number of other features which are described on the Manual page