Author Topic: Atxraspi works great but having problems with screen not turning on  (Read 3306 times)

dodgethis03

• NewMember
So I have it connected to my 3d printer, which has a raspberry 3 b and the element14 7 inch screen. The atxraspi seems to be working just great. The only problem I am having is, I also have a latching switch hooked to a 5v relay that is controlling the printers power. The screen is plugged into a 12v to 5v converter, that only turns on with the printer but when I turn on the raspberry pi with the momentary switch I have connected to it and then turn on the printer. The screen is not turning on. If I keep the latching switch to the printer on (the printer can only turn on if the raspberry pi is on because I am taking the 5v signal from the pi to trigger the relay) and then turn on the raspberry pi, the screen will turn on then. I don't get why the screen does not turn on when I do it the first way I described. I hope this isn't all to confusing to get some help from someone. Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 03:16:35 AM by dodgethis03 »

dodgethis03

• NewMember
Re: Atxraspi works great but having problems with screen not turning on
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 03:24:23 AM »
Well I fixed the screen part of it. I just did away with the converter and plugged the screen power into pin2 and pin6 of the raspberry pi but now I can't get the latching switch to trigger the relay to turn on the printer. I am also trying to get the latching switch to blink when the pi is powering down. Just like the one connected to the atxraspi. I have connected the pos. and neg. to both switches from the atxraspi but do not know what wire to put to the dc+ and dc- and sig. on the relay. Anyone smarter then me have any ideals? Any help would be great. This is the relay I am working with. 5V 1 Channel Relay Optocoupler Isolation Module Red Board 3-5V High and 0-1.5V Low Level Triggered Load AC 0-250V / DC 0-30V 10A SCM IO Control.

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 11:22:48 AM »
You have a lot going on there, not sure why something starting working would cause something else to stop working, that was working before.
Can you provide a drawing/schematic of how everything is wired?

dodgethis03

• NewMember
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 03:02:20 PM »
Yeah, I am not sure why I can't getting the relay to trigger anymore. Maybe the 5v into the relay was stronger before. I don't know, this is my first time trying something like this. I made a little CAD drawing of how I had it wired. I hope it is not too hard to read. Thanks a lot for your help. Before the 5v power and ground was coming from the raspberry pi.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 06:40:12 PM by Felix »

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 06:36:10 PM »
Not 100% sure what each module in the diagram is or, but the relay may be too power hungry since you already feed the LCD from this. Although it's latching.
The LCD can take up to 1A or so from what I can remember.
Why is there a GND to the latching switch?

dodgethis03

• NewMember
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 07:35:48 PM »
In the PDF the LCD power is coming from a 12v to 5v 3A max converter.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J3MHRNO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  The relay is a 5V Relay Optocoupler Isolation Module.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BDKCH7Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 -Work Voltage: 5V -Quiescent Current: 5mA -Max Current: 190mA -Trigger Current: 3-5mA -Low Level Trigger Current: 0-1.5V -High Level Trigger Current: 3-5V. Right now I have it as a high level trigger. I am not sure why the latching button is hooked to the ground. I thought it needed a ground. I couldn't find anywhere that showed me how to trigger a 5v relay with a latching push button. So I wired it how it showed on the page where I bought it from.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078SPCPJN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This is all new to me.

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 09:33:29 AM »
With no labels I could not be sure what comes from where. It's a bit daunting to follow all the text in these posts and then try to connect what what is what in the diagram.
Looks like you have 2 sources of 5V power?
One that powers the ATXRaspi (from wall?) and one that powers everything else? Are they common ground?

The switches you have are probably SPST (single pole single throw). The latching just ... latches in the closed position. They happen to have a COM and NO (normally open) + NC (normally closed) connections, you want them wired from COM to NO, such that when the switches are PRESSED (either latching or not) the connection is closed.
No ground is needed, unless the COM is grounded and the NO is pulled up. I recommend never to copy paste what you see in amazon comments and then turn it on to see if it works.

No offense but in electrical/electronics work it's required to understand what you're doing or things can blow up (low power electronics) or you can get killed (with mains), it's not a joke.
I'm glad you got the ATXRaspi working, means I'm doing a decent job with the guide :)

dodgethis03

• NewMember
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 08:17:19 PM »
Well I got it to work. Not really sure how but it works. See if you can read my pdf a little better. I tried how you described and I could get the light in the switch to work, however it would not trigger the relay.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 03:34:16 PM by Felix »

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 08:46:24 AM »
Ok, your latching switch should not be powered from the same LED light of the main momentary switch, that is only meant to power 1 LED only (the LED in the main power switch), and it cannot turn on a relay. Im not sure when you want that latching switch's light to be ON.

Also, I would wire the power to it from the ATXRaspi 5V output, not from the Pi's USB.

dodgethis03

• NewMember
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 12:30:44 PM »
That was the thing. I wanted both switches to blink when I turn off the pi. I wanted both lights to turn on at the same time and turn off at the same time. Wouldn't powering the latching switch from the ATXRaspi keep power at the switch? I have it wired to the raspberry pi usb because I wanted the power to the relay to turn off when all was shutdown.

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 03:36:25 PM »
Ok let's say you could power the 2 LEDs from the ATXRaspi power LED.
But you have the latching switch LED connected to the USB 5V.
There should be 4 connections to that latching switch, one that does the switching, and one the LED. Completely independent.