Author Topic: System does not power down [solved]  (Read 39047 times)

Cybergei

• NewMember
System does not power down [solved]
« on: September 12, 2014, 01:15:01 PM »
Using the instruction from the ATX page, it sates to connect the ATX to GPIO 7 & 8. Those are pins 24 & 26 respectively.

From an Off state, when pressing the momentary switch, the Pi does come on.  Using htop, we can also see that /etc/shutdowncheck is running.

When pressing the momentary switch for 4 seconds, the PI does nothing.  It never enters the shutdown or poweroff sequence.

When holding the switch for 6 seconds, the PI does a forced shutdown.

Can anyone either see any mistake that I have done or have you experienced and solved this?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 12:00:44 PM by Felix »

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
Re: System does not power down
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 01:20:26 PM »
Hello Cybergei, Thanks for joining the forum.

You confirmed shutdowncheck is running, so I assume everything is fine on that end.
Can you please double check that the wires are not installed backwards (ie switched).

ATXRaspi has a red LED (older models are amber) next to the shutdown signal on the PCB itself, that should come ON once the button is held for around 3 seconds, which also asserts the signal going into the Pi.

Does that LED come ON as described above?

Cybergei

• NewMember
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 01:55:38 PM »
I have version 2.4  It is of course possible that the wires are switched, I will try to attach a pic.  No LED comes on, on the ATX.  When ON, there are still no LEDs on the ATX on.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 01:58:14 PM by Cybergei »

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 02:54:02 PM »
Do you see this message at the end of boot:

Code: [Select]
ATXRaspi shutdown script starting…
Asserting pins (7=in,low; 8=out,high)

After this script starts, you should see a GREEN LED turn ON on ATXRaspi (on the boot arrow). If not, your script is not running correctly or wiring is not as expected although in the picture it looks right.

Otherwise assuming the ATXRaspi board is good (all are tested) and it wasn't zapped in shipping or handling, the only remaining thing is the script install. If the INPUT to ATXRaspi is not asserted, then ATXRaspi will not issue a shutdown (because it's waiting for INPUT=high to know that Pi has booted and shutdowncheck is running).

Can you take a multimeter and check if the input from PI and into ATXRaspi is coming HIGH after booting?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 03:12:54 PM by Felix »

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 04:07:52 PM »
I have actually just updated the installation guide yet again. The changes can be seen on the ATXRaspi page
Most notably you only need to download one bash setup script that will do everything for you. No more dependency on WiringPi.
If you want to try this please first delete the entry in /etc/rc.local for the old script (using sudo nano /etc/rc.local).
Writeup is here.

Cybergei

• NewMember
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 07:10:56 AM »
Update:  I have found that first: wiringPi was installed in a different location then the scripts requested /home/pi/wiringPi path.  I have made the adjustments.

Now the green led comes on after the ATXRaspi shutdown script.

Now when holding the power button down for 3-4 seconds, the led pulses but there is no other response.  The shutdown script. never actually executes.

If I continue to hold down the power button for 6-8 seconds, then there is a forced shutdown.

What ya think?

Cybergei

• NewMember
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 09:08:24 AM »
More tests, while the unit is ON, GPIO 7 reads low and 8 reads high.  When holding the power button for 3-4 seconds, the LED pulses, but the Amber LED on the ATX does not come on.

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 04:35:42 PM »
GPIO 7 should go HIGH once the button LED starts pulsing. The pulsing means GPIO8 is HIGH to signal that Pi has booted and script is running. Once shutdown has begun the SHUTDOWN LED on ATXRaspi should be ON and the script should detect that on GPIO7 as a HIGH and issue a sudo poweroff.

Cybergei

• NewMember
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 10:35:57 PM »
Ok, but that does not happen, even with your new install. Could it be an owner permission issue? What user should own the script? Is 755 still good permissions? User pi is not a sudo user and normally can not perform a shutdown without an edit to the Sudoers file.

Just ideas.

Or perhaps is the signal from the pin not being sent?

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 03:58:21 PM »
This script has aways been 755. You could chmod it to 777 to avoid any permission issues. The rc.local script is run by the system so I would not expect trouble there. I could not find any issues with the new script.

Cybergei

• NewMember
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 10:37:47 PM »
Morning. The forced shutdown issue has corrupted the SD Card Superblock now, so I will need to reimage and start over. Perhaps that will fix any mods previously made. I need to get this working so that I can order 100 more..

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 07:54:30 AM »
Forced shutdowns are not really meant to be used, they are just there so you can do it if you really really have to. But you can always log-in and do sudo halt instead to avoid file system corruption.

By the way the OS I used is Raspbian (latest 6-20-14).
You should just wire ATXRaspi to your Pi as explaned here, then turn it on using ATXRaspi (first time).
Then to activate the ATXRaspi functionality you need to install the script:

Code: [Select]
$ sudo wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/LowPowerLab/ATX-Raspi/master/shutdownchecksetup.sh
$ sudo bash shutdownchecksetup.sh
$ sudo rm shutdownchecksetup.sh
$ sudo reboot

Let us know how your new image install goes.

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 08:02:26 PM »
Hi Cybergei, did you make any progress, any updates on this?

Cybergei

• NewMember
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 12:06:06 AM »
Sorry, day job pushed this priority back a few days.  I have rebuilt the system from scratch and have the exact same results.  What if there is no ACPI driver in the kernel?  Or what if it is deactivated somewhere like you can do in Grub.  Since Pi does not use Grub, I will search for it elsewhere, but at the moment, ACPI is what I am chasing since everything else seems correct.  It has to be the Pi OS.

Cybergei

• NewMember
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 01:06:46 AM »
Still no love.  I had to switch the pins to GPIO7 -> 23  & GPIO8 ->24  because another script was using 7.  Still when pressing the power ON, 23 remains low until ATXRaspi comes on, then goes high.  When pressing the poweroff, 24 still does not go high. 23 remains the same.  ATX is affecting the Pi since it is sending 23 high. I am all out of ideas now.