Author Topic: Multi-node RaspberryPi cluster with ATXRaspi power control  (Read 12553 times)

stevePi

• NewMember
Multi-node RaspberryPi cluster with ATXRaspi power control
« on: June 03, 2015, 03:48:52 AM »
Hi all,

I'm building a small 6 node Raspberry Pi cluster, and am looking for a neat solution for power on/off without having to login to each RPi node.

ATXRaspi looks great for a single RPi, but any suggestions if/how it could be used to manage power for multiple RPis?

So far I'm thinking of using ATXRaspi to control a single RPi, and for that node to control a DC relay and script to then power on/off the multiple cluster nodes.

Like this - https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1SaOjgGJI6f_nWUO6ljsUsjANmOX8vP0CpWgotImCXyE/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks,
Steve.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 10:00:08 AM by Felix »

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
Re: Multi-node RPi cluster and ATXRaspi?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 09:34:18 AM »
Steve,
One ATXRaspi should only power 1 Pi at 1 time.
For your scheme I think it should work but you will have to modify the script to issue the cluster shutdown and then power off the control Pi.
There is a time limit from issuing the SHUTDOWN signal (and LED pulsing) until the ATXRaspi will return to normal state, if the BOOTOK signal does not go low - about 1 minute.
ATXRaspi assumes 1 minute is enough for a Pi to shutdown and pull BOOTOK low, for it to then cut power off.
If your control Pi waits a longer time for the cluster to shut off, then ATXRaspi will return to normal and you might have to press the button yet again. If in the meantime your control Pi eventually shuts down, then ATXRaspi will not know what happened and you will have to hold the button for ~6 seconds for it to cut power (forced off).

This is an interesting problem. I imagine there are plenty of clusters out there and people have a need to shutoff the entire cluster in a reasonable amount of time without having to SSH into each one.

What is the size of your cluster? And what would be an average cluster size?

stevePi

• NewMember
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 01:13:37 AM »
Hi,

My cluster is only small - 5 cluster nodes and one control node. I built it to tinker with Ceph clustered storage, with USB flash drives for storage :)

Allowing ~1 minute for shutdown should be fine, as the cluster nodes will shutdown in parallel.

For the relay I'm hoping this will do the job - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hot-Sale-1-Channel-H-L-Level-Triger-Optocoupler-Relay-Module-for-Arduino-5V-/141618919577?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item20f9253899

I tried to order an ATXRaspi, but they are currently out of stock - any idea when new stock will arrive?

Thanks,
StevePi

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 12:28:01 PM »
Yes that relay will work.
ATXRaspi back in stock!

stevePi

• NewMember
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 11:55:53 AM »
The ATXRaspi (and the relays) arrived last week. Soldered and connected them tonight - works great! :)

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 08:56:55 PM »
Awesome. ATXRaspi is quite popular and it's one of the easiest boards I make. Check out this video where it's used in a RetroPi game console project:

I just blogged about it also.

stevePi

• NewMember
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 03:32:10 AM »
Here's the (mostly) finished product - with ATXRaspi buried on the lower right-hand side.

http://storagedownunder.com/2015/06/10/a-bucket-of-squid/

« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 03:34:25 AM by stevePi »

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
Re: Multi-node RaspberryPi cluster with ATXRaspi power control
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 10:07:39 AM »
Nice work!!