Happy new year folks!
The blog has been silent for a good while. For now I will just announce the new R2 revision of GarageMote and hope to catch up later. Here’s what this new revision consists of, and a few photos to show it assembled/installed:
It is mostly the same as before, but it includes the following new or changed features:
- R2 kit comes with new unipolar hall effect magnetic sensors; the pinout is the same but these sensors can detect both north/south poles of a magnet, hence easier to install without having to orient the magnet a certain way for detection.
- R2 kit includes magnets (rectangular ); these are better than round magnets that I’ve personally used before. My opener belt stopping point is a little variable so the length of the magnet helps keep the fixed sensor “in range” to avoid the sensor missing the magnet and trigger an UNKNOWN status.
- R2 kit includes a 1×8 screw terminal for easy mating with the provided cat5 cable
- R2 kit includes a momentary button between GND and D3 – no code released for this (yet) but this can be used to add a function to your GarageMote – like SYNC-ing with a SwitchMote so you can open/close your garage from a SwitchMote button, how cool is that!
- new 2.1 barrel jack for optionally powering the unit from an external 2.1mm jack power supply, commonly available on ebay or at major online electronics retailers