Author Topic: Help a newbie. Is the moteino good for multiple temperature probes?  (Read 4572 times)

divide0

• NewMember
Hello all,

I am new to programming microcontrollers, but I would like to make a project to measure the temperature in various places around my home (living room, attic, swimming pool, outside, etc) and log it to a computer.

If I have multiple moteinos, will they all work on the same wireless frequency, using a single receiver? Is there some sort of synchronization built in to mediate the timing between multiple modules?

Do all modules see all wireless traffic? Or is there some sort of addressing in the firmware?

Thanks

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
Re: Help a newbie. Is the moteino good for multiple temperature probes?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 05:46:33 PM »
Good question.
They must be on the same frequency if you want to use a single receiver. The firmware makes it easy to choose from 3 different frequency bands that should match the hardware, depending on what's legal in your region.
The traffic will be detected by all receivers on the same frequency but firmware addressing built in the library will filter only to the traffic addressed to that specific receiver. There is also a "promiscuous" mode that allows to capture all data from the same "network".
There are now 2 types of transceivers that work with Moteino (RFM12B - very popular but could be discontinued by the manufacturer; and RFM69 W/HW - becoming popular since it's recommended replacement), each has its own separate library and currently they do not talk to each other, maybe in the future.

divide0

• NewMember
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 10:25:24 PM »
Thanks for your quick reply. That is helpful.

regreb56

• NewMember
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 01:33:09 PM »
Another newbie follow up question about temperature probes...
Does anybody have a recommended ambient air temperature probe?
Or will any probe that works with Arduino work?
Thanks

pko

• NewMember
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 01:53:58 PM »
You want a temperature probe (used to measure temperature of an object) or an ambient temperature sensor?  If it is a sensor that you want, DHT22 is a popular sensor used in the Make: urban sensor hack workshops.  There are standard Arduino library for the sensor.

regreb56

• NewMember
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 01:58:29 PM »
Thanks for the quick response pko.
At this time, I am only looking for an ambient temperature sensor.

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 05:07:25 PM »
Dallas DS18b20 is another decent one - it's one wire and there are many libs out there for it, or perhaps TMP36 which is analog and less accurate and will need some calibration.